Thursday, August 15, 2019

Fiber Art....

(Fiber art:
Fiber art refers to fine art whose materials consist of natural or synthetic fiber and other components, such as fabric or yarn.  It focuses on the materials and on the manual layout on the part of the artist as part of the work’s significance, and prioritizes aesthetic value over utility... (Wikipedia)
“A description that is a mouthful of words, but so true...”

In the past few years, I have discovered that I could mix my love for painting, knitting, quilting, beading, embroidering, allowing me to create art that encompasses all of these, at once.

I have created many art pieces that utilize these disciplines. Usually with representations that were truer in color. But I was challenged, and intrigued,  by an upcoming show,  called “Black and White and Beyond” Quilt Show, which will take place  at the Pacific Park Gallery in Coos Bay, Oregon, in November 2019.

It takes many months to think, decide, create and implement a
design. 

The show requires that the “primary colors be black and white, with other colors as secondary in the item”. 

I had many ideas dancing in my brain. For weeks I thought about it and finally the light went on. I had been impressed by the artistry in the movie of the Ballet “Black Swan”.  The transformation of the prima ballerina, Odilia, the intensity of her expression, her eyes, and moves.... could  I capture that with pieces of fabric, thread and thread painting?  I certainly had to try.
I began by making several sketches. About a week later, the idea started to emerge...




Once the idea started to take place, I sketched it full size and started to cut important pieces, like hands, arm position, fingers. 




When satisfied with the “idea”, I looked for fabrics that would abide by the theme “Black and White”.  I knew that her toe shoes would be pale pink, but the rest would be different shades of whites and blacks.  At this point, I moved to the sewing machine and proceeded to secure pieces using a free motion feature. 



It gives me great satisfaction when the piece starts to come together. If I could, I would do fiber arts and nothing else...
From that point on, it is like painting. You add, take away, create as you go. Paint with thread instead and a needle instead of a brush...

I wanted the piece to have the illusion of lighting coming from above. Like you would see on a stage, when the spotlight follows the dancer. I thought tulle would do the trick...and it did....


The bodice of the dress needed to be very dark, to show the contrast of black and white, so I used real velvet...
Once that step was completed and the background decided, the beading begins... Beading creates an element of magic... if bring things alive, real.... beading the bodice has taken more than a week and that’s the stage I find myself at now. 







It is difficult to keep the beading stitches from showing on the backside of the work. I recently entered a quilt show competition. I decided to cover the mess of stitches by adding an extra piece of muslin to make it look “clean”. The judge criticized the extra piece. They like to see that work on the back side. Live and learn. this time I am being extra careful....
I still have many weeks before I finish Black Swan... but I am loving the process and I am loving “Odilia”, who had such big struggles in life... Will keep you posted as to how it progresses....

2 comments: