Monday, September 9, 2013

The Marine Quilt
                                     " Every quilter has a masterpiece within..."


The Marine Quilt



My daughter Paula and husband Cristian are Doctors of Science in Southern Chile. Cristian is a Professor and works for the Faculty of Natural and Oceanographic Sciences at the Universidad de Concepcion. He teaches and researches Evolutionary Ecology, Macroecology, Biogeography, Systematics and Phylogenetics.



Paula is a Professor for the Faculty of Science, in the Department of Coastal Ecology. She teaches and researches Ecology and Ecology of Invasions,  Marine Biology and Environmental Chemistry at the Universidad Catolica de la Santisima Concepcion.



Before traveling to Chile last February, I thought it would be nice if I made them a quilt. After all, I quilt...I knew I could design something unique for them. Something that would be marine.


I started with a sketch, and decided on colors and specimens...
And then it all started to come together.
I begun to collect and cut fabric. This will be a hanging quilt, which allows more artistic freedom. I can paint it, I can be more creative. It doesn't have to be soft and cuddly....

A little coral here and there....


It has to be large enough to match the rest of the design....
And we need rocks and sand for the bottom of the ocean....


It is all coming together....I like it!


I love the color selection.....

Sea Anemone and seaweed.... a must!

We must have kelp ....


Sea urchins and starfish, oh my!  Let the quilting begin!

A jelly fish..isn't it cute?


And some pretty fishes, with silver paint, swimming around....


I thought it needed some tropical visitors... that's the good thing about quilting...you can bring the whole world into your design!
And here is the finished marine quilt.... ( I see feet at the bottom:)  
Cristian and Paula loved it....


It was displayed at the top of their staircase...
Way up high!


I was pleased.  They were happy. One more marine decoration for their beautiful, earthquake proof home, in the native woods of Southern Chile...

Now you go make a quilt..it is that easy!!!

Love
Maria



No comments:

Post a Comment